Through a variety of programmes that run throughout the year, the Jazz curriculum provides training and education in the following areas of study:
- American Syllabus Jazz exercises
- English Syllabus Jazz exercises
- Terminology of Jazz Vocabulary
- An informed understanding of how Jazz is used in the dance/ performance Industry and its justification. (Aesthetic demands, Auditions, Contracts etc)
- Experience and practice of a variety of Jazz techniques
- A knowledge and understanding of the relationship between Jazz music and Jazz dance
- An understanding of the anatomical placement of the body in Jazz
- Education in the history and origins of Jazz with focus on African American and Caribbeann traditional dance origins
- Education in the social/economical relevance of Jazz and it’s development through the ages as well as dominant trends of Jazz
- Exploration of other dance styles/art forms that cross reference Jazz (eg Ballet, Hip Hop, lyrical, contemporary, commercial jazz etc)
- A study of leading productions /significant performances.
- A study of leading practitioners and influential artists.
- How cultural/character styles are translated into Jazz technique
- Devising and choreology
- Production and Design
In addition to these core areas lies the heart of the company ethos, ‘Let Your Colours Explode!’ Workshop participants are encouraged to discuss other ideas and areas if interest and what they want to get out of the curriculum. Due to the nature of creative education, workshop delivery is flexible, adaptable and always fun!